Monday 11 April 2016

Looking for inspiration. Colour symbolism

    I kept looking for inspiration for this Editorial look and more than everything caught my attention Ellis Faas packaging. Ellis pens, as already known, have the shape of bullets and the holders created for them show a unique type of holder for those bullets. All these in my point of view fits perfectly with the Idea of a warrior or hunter. And how can it not be compatible with the tribal look? Obviously, tribal haunter do not have guns or bullets. They use their own handmade weapons. Tools created from their environements like wood, rocks and poison (in the role of bullets).
http://www.heavensalon.com/cm/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/EllisFaas_Home600x350.jpg

I Thought that using similar accessories as the pens/bullets in the picture would look amazing and would have a symbolic meaning behind it as well- the power! This will also give a MODERN twist to my look. I have decided to create the look of a warrior, and to combine it with the tribal theme. So I have started to think of different designs:

I started to think of tribal inspired looks and left myself go with my brushes and all those colours around me. I haven't even finished it as I already knew that I have to change it. I didn't like it, nor the combination of colours I used, nor the design itself. I had to change it completely. In my point of view it was very kind of POCAHONTAS look. A look or better design that will probably pop in mind to everyone as soon as you say Tribal makeup. It wasn't as original in my point of view.  Another reason, was that I wanted to create something in which I can incorporate accessories, those bullets or something similar to them. I wanted to give the idea of a warrior, of determination and anger- that I could not see in this face chart. It just didn't feel right to me.
    So I have taken a new piece of paper and started it from the very beginning. To avoid mistakes I started to look in the symbolism of the colours for the tribal makeup. I thought that this would help me more to understand this concept and would bring me maybe closer to the inspirations for the makeup. To make a stronger impact I thought to use two strong opposite colours: Black and White.

 The symbolism of BLACK & WHITE for the tribal makeup:


    Black: In many tribes it was also customary for the returning warrior to paint his face black; yet the Plains warriors were known to leave the tips of their noses unpainted. (Densmore, 2006) Crow warriors believed that a face painted black symbolized “quenching the fires of revenge,” (Holmes, 2010) and “Lakota men painted their face black to signify victory, not to signify going to war.” was the color of peace When It Was used as face paint.

   White:  was the color of peace when it was used as face paint. It is also the colour of sharing, light and purity.

   By using this two colours I wanted to represent both the courage and determination of the character as well as the his pure soul. As details similar to the bullets I used a belt that had loads of thorns that are similar to the Ellis pen's lids.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment