Tuesday 2 February 2016

Why Ellis Faas ???

    The brand that I have decided to choose is Ellis Faas.

    Deciding which brand to choose was a bit of a challenge for me. I have done a research on each option we were given and I couldn't make my mind between: MAC, Illamasqua and Ellis Faas. The reason why it was to choose was, because all these brands from my point of view have a quite dramatic style for the makeup.

Illamasqua

   If taking for example Illamasqua, and looking at some images created for their editorial or advertisement looks, they are very bold, dramatic and artistic at the same time. I would actually say that the makeup created for this brand is quite theatrical, because I would say over the top in some way intending that extreme contouring is present in most of the images as well as really bold colours that are in contrast with the skin tone. Illamasqua's makeups is basically a "combination of Illusion and Masquerade". The Guardian  describes it as Edgy makeup style: " What makes it edgy?...Well, they don't shy away from unconventional looks and highly pigmented colour. The core collection is based on a range created by Arnold Langer, who learned his trade in prewar Berlin among the underground clubs and cabaret performers of the time. Illamasqua certainly maintains that theatrical feel and playfulness with adventurous seasonal collections." (The Guardian, 28 November, 2011)
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi3_vdqVhz4BEZHMoYUOfgDHwTxfY3PqxtYLHfPp8GF6NYcvjRNsXu-QU4DNEYN3eiWDeofcRUfB-H51wDgm7cfBUSDAd9KZoHgdGRrw6AgvlpkkhxUFTfAGH6l6PI1MYD6nxqP9R-UbBRl/s1600/EDITORIAL+FINAL+ttttt.jpg
https://signatureln.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/alex-box-by-rankin.jpg

MAC

    While Illamasqua was inspired from Cabaret performers and has a theatrical feeling, MAC- was created to develop a studio makeup line that would fulfill the professional need of its creators- Frank Toskan (makeup artist and photographer) and Frank Angelo (beauty salon owner). Through their images, more than anything else I can see attitude. The images have a touch of outrageousness. This company that honored individuality and self-expression above all else, brought a brilliant sense of drag and theater into the MAC company. They bring fun and a playful feel that appeals mostly to a young crowd.
http://www.gloriouslyvapid.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/underwrapsglassbook003.jpg
http://s3images.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/original_384358_tzI1ZjyYdmOjs11AvvQodBcWr.jpg

Ellis Faas


     In the end I went for Ellis Faas, because I wanted to challenge myself and create something different and unusual, and Ellis Faas works are exactly what I was looking for. Her masterpieces are unique and very creative and they are totally describing the ideal result I am aiming for. Another reason is because I also don't really know much about her, this brand and the products, so I thought, it would be interesting to know more and discover new things . Also taking in consideration the brief and the looks that we actually have to create, as for example for the advertising, most brands aim for more kind of natural looks, very sensual and "usual", while I wanted something more than that, something that will push my creativity further and will "push" me towards more originality, something similar to Illamasqua, Mac and Ellis Faas. I have chosen Ellis Faas at this point, because many of my course mates have chosen either Illamasqua or Mac while I haven't heard anyone saying that they have decided to go for Ellis Faas. It is not a "shouting" brand, not a brand that is a lot advertised. I am not saying that is not popular, but I would define it more as a "SILENT" brand, and probably this is the reason why not many people know about it. The style and the makeup Ellis is creating in her images are dramatic, avant-garde, bold.... An explosion of feelings are transmitted with every look.
    The hardest part is going to be analysing the brand in terms of products, packaging, and price point, as on these details is not much about, and my own point of view on it may not be enough to analyse them in depth as obviously for understanding better the concept of the brand, sources are needed.





Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment